[ubuntu-x] i8xx, again!

Charles Barnwell cgbarnwell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:02:38 BST 2010

Christopher,

We appreciate your continued support on this.

I am supporting a group that uses LTSP with Dell clients using a mixture of
these two cards:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The 82865G cards work fine, but the Brookdale cards experience regular
crashes.  This system was upgraded from Karmic (on Karmic the system was
reliably stable) and all clients seem to be using the i915 driver rather
than vesa driver.  How did the blacklisting in Lucid work?  Would it not
affect an upgrade?

I have tried the workarounds described in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes and the most successful was
to enable KMS and disable DRI.  I tried to force use of VESA driver, but I
never managed to get an acceptable resolution on the Brookdale cards.

My big concern is that if you use option 1, and it really does force VESA
driver then many people may experience poor resolution, which is not a good
experience for new users.

If we can be sure that people would not experience crashes, but would have a
good resolution then I also vote for option 1.

I'm afraid we are going to be swapping the Brookdale machines for devices
that have a different card, so I will not be able to help in any more
diagnosis, but we really have to give this customer a stable system now.

Thanks again for the continued work.

Charles Barnwell
cgbarnwell at gmail.com
07707-910707