[ubuntu-x] Kernel Call for Testing(CFT): DRM stack

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:24:29 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 01:53:32PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > -ati and -intel don't need an update for this actually, as there isn't a
>> > dependency on the kernel drm here. ??But there are updates to both these
>> > drivers for other reasons.
>> >
>> > -nouveau does some updates since it currently has a dependency on
>> > linux-backports-modules. ??This is in the pipeline and should be
>> > available some time today.
>>
>> Hm, I see, well I ask because my r770 only worked fine with basic 3d
>> with bleeding edge git userspace for the new radeon driver and 2.6.33
>> drm stuff. Once the livecd gets baked I'll give it a shot and report
>> back. Is 3d expected to work on the current radeon userspace merged on
>> 10.04 on r770s?
>
> In fact I just sponsored an update to -ati 6.12.191 a few moments ago.
> If the version you tested was older than that version, then you should
> be good to go.
>
> Btw, make sure to help forward bugs you find with -ati upstream, as
> that's the best way to get issues resolved.  Late in the release I
> scour through bugs in launchpad that have links to upstream bugs marked
> fixed, and backport the fixes (or flag them as priorities for the kernel
> team).  So the more you can do to help with this, the more bug fixes
> we'll be able to pull in prior to release.

Awesome, good to know Bryce, thanks.

I used to just run git radeon from xf86-video-ati git and that worked
fine, except for the silly fact that most 3d userspace apps I wanted
to try did not have a counterpart 64-bit userspace app (google earth).
Native games worked just fine for me though.

I had suspend issues but I believe the issues were CPU related, the
system had the latest AMD Phenom II.

The only issue I did see which was clearly a driver issue was the lack
of HDMI audio support. There seems to be 3 approaches to its support
on rv770:

  * radeonhd - implemented but this is not the driver to use
  * radeon - port of the work still needed some work. See [1] and [2]
  * KMS radeon - might have been merged into 2.6.33 or 2.6.34, I poked
the dri list and CC'd you on my inquiry

In any case, I'll give the new live CD a good spin once it comes out.
Will tomorrow's baked CD also have your new 6.12.191 update?

[1] http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2009-July/010722.html
[2] http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2009-07/msg00188.html

  Luis