[ubuntu-x] Common bug tags between the X and kernel teams

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 28 08:42:21 BST 2010

A fairly large percentage of bugs that get reported against X now end up
being kernel bugs thanks to KMS.  As users cotton on to this shift there
will likely be more bugs reported against the kernel which are actually
an X bug, too.

In X land we've got a rich set of tags¹ set up for describing the
various forms of common brokenness.  Some of these obviously don't apply
to the kernel side of things, some obviously do.

On the kernel side we have a much smaller set of tags² mainly organised
around subsystems.  There's also a single lonely “xorg-needs-kernel-fix”
tag which looks like it could painlessly be folded into the
kernel-graphics tag.

In the X team we've found the wider set of tags quite useful, as we're
generally pretty reluctant to merge bugs by duplicating them unless
exactly the same hardware is involved.  These bugs often get fixed as
group, however - particularly bugs tagged edid and backlight, but also
others - and having the richer tags makes it easier to find bugs to ask
for re-testing.

As we'll be exchanging bugs with more regularity I thought it would be
useful to check that we're on the same page, and to work out a common
set of tags if the kernel team feel they'd be valuable.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Tagging
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Tagging