[ubuntu-x] Nouveau in Lucid (again)

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 19 02:33:02 GMT 2010

Now that Alpha 2 is out of the way, I'd like to raise the status of
nouveau in Lucid again.  As far as I can tell there's nobody on the
kernel team responsible for driving nouveau in Lucid at the moment,
and everyone's busy with other tasks.  I'm happy to help, but at this
point I'm not sure what I can do to help.

As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a decision as to which of the
following paths will be taken for nouveau in Lucid:
1) Backporting the driver from staging in 2.6.33; this would be easier
if we were picking up some of the drm changes in 2.6.33, and I'm not
sure how much radeon or intel wants these changes.
2) Taking an oldish snapshot of the driver that works against our
2.6.32 drm; a branch using this approach is available at
http://cooperteam.net/kernel-lucid-nouveau.git .  This would make
picking up upstream fixes that much more difficult, but this is likely
to be be difficult regardless, and the X team expects to use a PPA for
this purpose anyway.
3) Adding nouveau+drm from 2.6.33 to linux-backports-modules; I'm not
sure what's involved here, but could find out.

What information do we need to determine a course of action?  I'd like
to get a direction so I can start getting the DDX ready and such.