[ubuntu-x] Updated plans for Lucid?

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 12 12:11:33 GMT 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Thomas Jaeger wrote:

>> Ron has finally released the new wacom:
>>
>> http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/xf86-input-wacom_0.10.3+20100109-1.html
>>
>> so no need for unofficial snapshots anymore :)
>
> A mangled orig.tar.gz with autoreconf run on it already.  Sigh.

Hmm, yeah, the package could be autoreconf'ed like the rest of the input
drivers.. though Ron doesn't seem to like that.

> We need to decide whether want to (1) stick with the older version of
> the udev patch that currently ships with our debian package or (2) pull
> in the patch that made it upstream including all the (current and
> future) xorg.conf.d work.
>
> I'd actually vote for (1), since it allows for a more straightforward
> translation of current hal code and since the details of (2) haven't
> been finalized or fully implemented yet.  If we go for (1), I'd suggest
> just pulling in my patch, since we're on our own anyway.  If we go for
> (2), we're more bound by what upstream does, but I'm pretty confident
> that a similar patch will go in eventually.  Either way, getting full
> wacom support back in lucid in the not too distant future wouldn't be a
> bad idea.

The tagging system for (2) will be improved in the near future, so we'd
need that in order to work around some bugs (as discussed upstream).
I have (had) (2) running on my laptop, and it works fine.

The biggest downside of having (2) is that the video driver fallback
system doesn't work. But we have failsafe..