[ubuntu-x] Nouveau - remaining tasks.

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Feb 23 18:24:20 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:38:37PM +1100, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> 2) Work out how to handle upgrades from Karmic for those intrepid users
> who already have nouveau-kernel-source installed.
>
> 2 - For users who have nouveau installed on Karmic, they'll have the
> dkms-ified nouveau-kernel-source package installed.  This will fail to
> build against 2.6.32 and lbm-nouveau obsoletes it, so we'll want to
> remove it on upgrade.  A replaces/conflicts pair should be enough to do
> this, but will need testing.  I don't think we'll want to keep the
> nouveau-kernel-source package around in any PPA; we can keep the nouveau
> kernel module up to date with lbm-nouveau in xorg-edgers, and users who
> build their own kernels should be able to just enable nouveau from
> staging - at least until we update to the 0.0.16 nouveau kernel
> interface.

I'm not super worried about this issue.  I sort of suspect that early
adopters who would have installed nouveau in karmic and actually kept it
instead of going to -nouveau, maybe have already upgraded to lucid and
are on nouveau there.  Adding a conflicts/replaces is probably fine, but
I don't think this is worth putting too much time into.

It is a good idea that we should remove or disable nouveau from ppas.
I've switched off the xorg-edgers nouveau PPA (I think we pretty much no
longer need it - correct me if I'm wrong).  Are there any other places
where old nouveau bits are hiding and need removed?

Bryce