[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu-x Digest, Vol 36, Issue 10

Taylor Brown taylor at nearlyalaugh.com
Wed Aug 11 20:42:39 BST 2010

Thanks for the suggestion, Jerry.

I wanted to further report that the driver doesn't work on my system
whether I use i915.modeset=0, =1, or whether I omit the option entirely.
At least my system only crashes after resuming from suspend...

I don't know who's in charge of the wiki page, but for those users who
find themselves with a broken X server it might be helpful to add a
quick note about /uninstalling/ the legacy driver:

1. Login as root in recovery mode,
2. Find and remove the ppa entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/,
	# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
	# rm raof[something]
3. Find the newly created-added apt key and delete it and update,
	# apt-key list
	# apt-key del [whatever]
	# aptitude update	(or apt-get update)
5. Downgrade xserver-xorg-video-intel,
	# aptitude remove xserver-xorg-video-intel	(or apt-get remove)
	(choosing the option to downgrade to the earlier version)
6. Remove the modesetting line from GRUB if it's been added,
	# nano /etc/default/grub
	# update-grub
7. Exit recovery mode, login as user, and start X,
	# exit
	(log in as user)
	$ sudo gdm

Hope this feedback helps someone,

Taylor

Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Linux 2.6.32-24-generic
Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)