[ubuntu-x] Legacy Driver Potential Fix for Lucid i8xx Freezes

Melissa Hale duesergirl at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 05:14:15 BST 2010

I have been experience the GPU freeze problems that are addressed in
this document.  I am using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and my graphics chipset is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03).

 followed the steps under the first part for "Install the PPA packages"
and everything went well.  However, when I went on to the next step,
"Disable KMS," it was not as smooth.  When I entered "gksudo gedit
/etc/default/grub" a blank page came up in gedit.  I closed that, and
went directly to the /etc/default folder and found there was no "grub"
file showing there.

I'm not certain what I should do.  I just installed the 10.04 upgrade
this afternoon and had not made any changes before the GPU freezes
began.  I restarted using my 9.04 live CD and was able to
 find this fix.  I restarted back into 10.04 and, as stated, began the
fix.  I'm not sure why the /etc/default/grub file is not showing.  The freeze happened again after performing the first part of the fix, so I would like to complete the second part. Please advise as to what I need to do to complete the fix.

Thanks,
Melissa