[ubuntu-x] testing legacy driver solution to Lucid freeze on 855GM gpu

Michal Bojanowski m.j.bojanowski at uu.nl
Tue Aug 3 12:02:16 BST 2010

On 08/03/2010 03:50 AM, Steven wrote:
> Yes, that's fine. Go ahead with the upgrade and post back with your
> results booting without KMS.
>
> -Steven
>

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Michal Bojanowski <m.j.bojanowski at uu.nl
> <mailto:m.j.bojanowski at uu.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/02/2010 10:16 PM, Steven wrote:
>
>         Try running
>         sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
>         and see what it wants to remove/install/upgrade/etc. If it
>         doesn't want
>         to remove any packages, you should be alright installing it.
>
>         xserver-xorg-video-intel is the legacy driver we want to test,
>         so it's
>         very important that it gets installed correctly (and also that
>         you test
>         it with KMS disabled).
>
>         -Steven
>

>     When trying to install xserver-xorg-video-intel as you suggested I'm
>     getting what's below. Is it OK?
>
>     $ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
>     Reading package lists... Done
>     Building dependency tree
>     Reading state information... Done
>     The following packages were automatically installed and are no
>     longer required:
>       libcaca-dev libaudiofile-dev libaudio-dev libpulse-dev libmikmod2-dev
>       libxmu-headers libavahi-client-dev libdbus-1-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev
>       libtiff4-dev libesd0-dev libasound2-dev libtiffxx0c2 libslang2-dev
>       libavahi-common-dev libaa1-dev
>     Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
>     The following extra packages will be installed:
>       libx11-xcb1 libxcb-dri2-0
>     The following NEW packages will be installed:
>       libx11-xcb1 libxcb-dri2-0
>     The following packages will be upgraded:
>       xserver-xorg-video-intel

OK, I did install the legacy xserver-xorg-video-intel and put
i915.modeset=0 in grub. The system now crashes on boot: I'm getting a
black screen instead of the login dialog.

The mailing list protested when I tried attaching the logs so I will be
putting them on-line on http://bojan.3e.pl/ubuntu . You can find the
part from syslog there.

$ lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
$ uname -a
Linux sinkpad 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:22:14 UTC
2010 i686 GNU/Linux