[ubuntu-x] plans for Lucid?

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Nov 18 20:12:47 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:16:27PM +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
> > Given all the above I'm leaning more towards xserver 1.7.  I know a lot
> > of new features are planned for 1.8, but don't know yet that those
> > features are absolutely required in Ubuntu.
>
> Good points, and I forgot that RHEL6 should be based on F12 which has 1.7,
> so it will likely get a few point releases and a lot of testing. We'd
> need to patch libudev support though, and possibly the vga-arb stuff
> unless it's in 1.7.. can't remember nor check.

Can you elaborate on the vga-arb stuff when you get a chance?

Patching in libudev support sounds sane.  We'll definitely need it one
way or another.  Does only the xserver need patched for this, or do
other things need patched as well?  Any idea if redhat is looking to do
this for their xserver 1.7?

> >> drivers:
> >>
> >> - intel 2010Q1 release (might need mesa 7.8 and perhaps kernel 2.6.33?) -
> >
> > Sounds like the kernel will be 2.6.32.  Perhaps we should look to what
> > is released for 2009Q4?  jbarnes - advice?
>
> right, I forgot there was one release left for this year ;)
>
> >> - xf86-input-wacom 1.x (new clean release with support for properties etc)
> >
> > As mentioned above, for this we'll want 1.7 or newer to get the udev
> > support here so hal can be dropped.
>
> yep
>
> >> kernel:
> >>
> >> generally, we want the latest and the greatest.. AIUI it's not yet decided
> >> if it's going to be 2.6.32 or .33.
> >
> > I think latest and greatest is good for normal releases, but since this
> > is LTS I would really prefer something known to be stable and safe.
>
> Sure, and as it seems that (again) Debian and RHEL6 are going to use .32,
> it'll likely get several point releases and plenty of testing. There's
> still going to be at least some backporting to do, but that's business as
> usual.

Okay, 1.7 is sounding like the logical choice.  Any other considerations
we should take into account?  Anyone else have feedback on this choice?

Bryce