[ubuntu-x] clean-up of mesa git tree

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 17:48:53 GMT 2009

(Only of interest for those working on the mesa package in Ubuntu)

For a long time the ubuntu branch on
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/lib/mesa.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ubuntu
has been stale while new releases have been pushed only to the
archives. So I have tried to bring it up to date again.

Since all released versions are auto-imported into bazaar at
https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa I though I would profit
from this. I played around with bzr fast-export and git fast-import
which kind of worked (after filtering out ~ in git tags). But since
new versions have been merged from upstream or Debian, and the Ubuntu
tarballs sometimes have had some extra (but not used) stuff compared
to the Debian tarball this resulted in some huge, ugly commits. So in
the end I did it the more git-correct, although half-manual way, by
merging in the Debian or upstream branches at the right places, and by
only syncing the debian/ tree from the bazaar history. Only the merge
conflicts were a minor pain. The result can be seen here:

http://git.debian.org/?p=users/tormod-guest/mesa.git;a=summary

Search for "committer" = "tormod" to see the relevant commits. The
delta between each release and to Debian/upstream can now be easily
browsed or git-diff'ed.If this looks good, please push it to the repo
(or I can do it if I get pkg-org access).

For historical reference, I'll attach the script which does the whole
job. Note sure this was so important and necessary, but it was a great
git and bzr exercise :)

Tormod