[ubuntu-x] Two bugs with proposed patches and long discussions

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu May 7 18:52:51 BST 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 01:57:50PM +0200, Martin Olsson wrote:
> Alberto Milone wrote:
> > I think the 107_fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch caused graphical
> > corruptions in KDE 4 which is why we dropped it.
>
> Thanks Alberto.
>
> I found the bug you mention and the change that disabled it now (see below).
> The corruption was bug might have been more prominent in KDE
> but I remember seeing it every now and then on GNOME as well.
>
> Corruption bug is here btw:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/254468
>
> Some users in that bug suggests that another way to fix
> the bug was to go with UXA. Therefore, I suspect it might
> be possible to fix both the fglrx perf issues _and_ not
> cause any intel breakage if we enable UXA by default in karmic.

I think that's not a great fix, since we had users reporting that issue
on multiple drivers (see comment #9 for example).

Also, patch 107 is a really fugly workaround, as ajax's comment in the
description indicates.

For Karmic, we will be moving more firmly in the direction of -ati over
-fglrx, so I think rather at looking at patching up fglrx time would be
more effectively spent finding why users are using -fglrx instead of
-ati and focus on improving -ati so they don't need to do that.

Bryce