[ubuntu-x] Help building intel driver

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:34:07 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Geir Ove Myhr <gomyhr at gmail.com> wrote:
> After `git clone
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel` to
> downlad the driver code, and `./autogen.sh` to generate a configure
> script etc., `make` fails in xf86-video-intel/src/i830_memory.c:
>
> i830_memory.c:537: error: ‘I915_SETPARAM_NUM_USED_FENCES’ undeclared
> (first use in this function)
> i830_memory.c:537: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> i830_memory.c:537: error: for each function it appears in.)

> What am I missing? I'd rather not recompile the whole stack with mesa,
> DRM, etc. since this is just to check a VGA detection bug.

You will have to revert
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?id=8d4bc36fae50b09a73ba2cfab920adb32141a358
or for 2.6 branch:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?h=2.6&id=133dd16356c0a6d63a62b8cf3cbb2c2ba41ee2d9

I had to do this for the trunk build a while ago, but not any longer.
I /think/ what makes the difference is that the i915_drm.h is picked
up from libdrm_dev and not from the 2.6.28 kernel headers.

> I see intel driver in the xorg-edgers PPA is essentially the same
> version. In the log it says
> * Only added debian/ tree from origin/debian-experimental
>  * + disable kernel mode setting (won't build)
> If the kernel mode setting is the problem, how do I disable it?

In configure.ac, set a conditional to no,no instead of yes,no. See the
Ubuntu package, or the xorg-edgers auto-xorg-git hook for -intel.

But, if you only want to verify a VGA detection issue, just download
the main Ubuntu source package (no xorg-edgers) with "apt-get source
xserver-xorg-video-intel" and add your patch before you build it with
"debuild -b -us -uc".

Cheers,
Tormod