[ubuntu-x] ANN: Kernel Mode-Setting for Intel Graphics

Jin, Gordon gordon.jin at intel.com
Mon Jun 29 08:57:15 BST 2009

Bryce Harrington wrote on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:52 PM:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 08:42:56PM -0400, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
>> Just a couple of questions about troubleshooting and triaging KMS
>> bugs:
>>
>> 1. Where is the right place to file KMS bugs upstream? I think I have
>> seen some being filed under Product=xorg. Component=Driver/intel at
>> bugs.freedesktop.org and that it has worked out all right since it is
>> after all the same people that write the KMS kernel code and the 2D
>> driver modesetting code, but I guess it is not really the right
>> place.

As http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html says:
3) For DRM kernel bug: Product=DRI. Component=DRM/Intel.

This is probably the correct category for Intel KMS bugs. But in fact it's not a big issue to file it there or the 2d component, as we have the same team to deal with these components.

>> 3. Where is the upstream git-master for KMS source code? I looked at
>> http://git.kernel.org/ and it wasn't obvious which tree to use.
>
> Yeah, it's a tad complicated there, but from our perspective I think
> we
> can simplify it down.  For -intel there are two git-masters we care
> about.
>
> The first is David Airlie's drm-2.6 repo, which has what ends up being
> sent to Linus:
>

> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=drm-next
>
> In particular, 'drm-next' is the branch to look at, although it
> appears 'drm-fixes' is the more active one at the moment.
>

> The second is Eric Anholt's drm-intel repo, which is what Intel
> develops
> and periodically sends to David for merging:

For Intel specific changes in DRM, now Eric has a for-linus branch to directly for Linus to pull, not through David Airlie.

> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/anholt/drm-intel.git;a=summary
>
> He has a drm-intel-next branch, which is probably what we'll be
> interested in the most.

Yes, drm-intel-next is cutting-edge code for the next kernel cycle, while for-linus is for current kernel cycle.

Regards
Gordon