[ubuntu-x] ANN: Kernel Mode-Setting for Intel Graphics

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Wed Jun 24 10:04:40 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:46:38PM -0700, Mike Rooney wrote:
> Thanks for the update Bryce.
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Bryce Harrington<bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> > For other hardware and other
> > drivers, we're still waiting on upstream development to mature further,
> > and providing what help where we can.
>
> While looking for a newer source for nouveau for Karmic, I came across
> https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/nouveau which claims to be
> a testing ground for nvidia KMS. Since you didn't mention it I thought
> I'd ask what the state of this is and if anyone should be testing with
> it (will a kernel update outside of this PPA break graphics until the
> PPA catches up?).

Heya Michael,

Hopefully my reply to Sjors helps address part of your question.

Basically, the -nouveau KMS stuff is not quite ready for ordinary users
to start testing, but testers comfortable with installing stuff from PPAs
and not afraid of patching/building X components would be encouraged to
help bang on it.  Pop into #ubuntu-x and folks can fill you in more.

Bryce