[ubuntu-x] Karmic status

Alberto Milone alberto.milone at canonical.com
Thu Jul 30 13:44:34 BST 2009

On Wednesday 29 Jul 2009 18:37:44 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> xserver 1.7 is looking late.  Partly this was expected at the outset,
> but I'd be more comfortable if we had a beta release we could include
> for alpha-4.  If we don't, should we be focusing instead on 1.6.x?
> I'd love to hear other people's thoughts here.

At this point I would be more comfortable with adopting a conservative
approach for Karmic in order to minimise the risk of regressions. Even though
1.6.x doesn't have new features such as MPX or XI2 (which is not API
compatible with XI1), it's a well tested branch and should have fewer bugs.

Furthermore compatibility with 1.7 in binary drivers may not be ready in time
for Karmic's release. This of course is not a blocker but is still something
worth keeping in mind.

In conclusion I would be content with a rock solid X and all the X.org/kernel
fixes for -intel. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to experiment with 1.7
in Karmic+1 and/or xorg-edgers.

Regards,

--
Alberto Milone