[ubuntu-x] RFC: Naming scheme for -nvidia

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jul 2 01:11:37 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 12:30:51AM +0200, Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Bryce Harrington<bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> > (I also wonder about xserver-xorg-video-nvidia?  Did we avoid that just
> > because the package includes glx/drm drivers beyond just DDX?)
>
> xserver-xorg-video-* are the drivers from the X.org project. Stuffing
> proprietary drivers into packages of similar names would be misleading
> and not well received.

Technically, upstream names them differently from us anyway, but it is
still a good point.  OTOH, there've been other drivers we've had with
this naming scheme that weren't being provided by the X.org project.
(This could have been more due to ignorance than correctness though.)

If having 'xorg' there is incorrect politically, that sounds like it
suggests replacing it with the actual vendor, ala
xserver-amd-video-fglrx and xserver-intel-video-psb.  But then it leads
to weirdness like xserver-nvidia-video-nvidia.

Or maybe xserver-restricted-video-nvidia, etc. would be better.

Bryce