[ubuntu-x] dri2 and suspend/resume

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 23:21:18 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 00:14 +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following the dri2+compiz thread with interest, and have
> been looking forward to Peter Clifton's compiz workarounds.

Give the patches I just posted a try. I didn't code a workaround for the
path which handles brightness / opacity _and_ saturation changes yet
though - its not a path I've seen hit during normal compiz effects on
this box.

I didn't attempt to code workarounds for the path(s) using fragment
shaders - again, I've not seen those hit on this box.

Another bug I see on this GM45 box, is that if compiz Sync to VBlank is
switched on, I get about 1 frame every 3 seconds rendering speed. (Sync
to vblank is a known issue with the latest intel driver IIRC).

> Indeed, it would be very nice if uxa+dri2 would be in a usable state
> for Jaunty. As far as I can tell, there are currently two problems
> that I encounter with a dri2 setup. One is, of course, compiz & alpha
> blending. The other, which I'm curious to know if anyone else has
> encountered, is that after a suspend/resume cycle, the X server
> restarts and I'm back at the GDM login screen. The logs reveal nothing
> out of the ordinary (no backtrace, no nothing).

I sometimes get that, but sometimes it works fine. Not sure if X is
crashing on suspend or resume, and haven't had the energy to debug it
further.

I also get a corrupted console quite regularly when switching from Xorg
on VT7 to VT[1-6]. Switching back to VT7, then back to VT1 cured the
corruption on every occasion I remember seeing a problem.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,