[ubuntu-x] CTRL+ALT+Backspace in Jaunty

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jan 22 02:33:26 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:34:47AM +0530, shirish wrote:
> Hi all,
>      There has been quite some discussion on CTRL+ALT+Backspace combo
> which restarts the xserver . The option which is now turned off (I
> believe) in Jaunty.
>
> There has been a thread about the same.

> where an overwhelming 85.26% respondents/pollsters have asked for the
> above combo not to be turned off by default.
>
> A small percentage of 14.74% i.e. 37 posts are those who agree with
> the decision.
> Of course these are typically alpha testers so the poll results are
> skewed perhaps.

I'm actually surprised it's not more highly skewed to be honest.

This is just one of those changes that not everyone is going to like,
but that's important for broadening Linux's mass appeal.  To be honest I
don't like it either, as it quite impacts my own job as an X.org
developer/tester.

Regarding ideas for adjusting how it works, please keep strongly in mind
that this particular change is an upstream thing, and
suggestions/patches need to go their way.  While I do think this is an
important functionality, I'd really rather just keep in sync with
upstream on it and avoid having to maintain Ubuntu-specific patches.
So please propose improvements on the xorg development list.

> The wiki  page though which talks of the Don't Zap
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DontZap
>
> Is this ok ?

Thanks for drafting it, I've moved this page to the X.org configuration
section here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/DontZap

and clarified it a little bit, hopefully I've not changed the meaning
too much.  The page can also be found from this page:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config

We plan to bring online tools for KDE and GNOME to make the change in a
way that doesn't require editing xorg.conf.  It would be very helpful if
you (or someone) could please remember to update this page with the
easier directions once they become available.

Thanks,
Bryce