[ubuntu-x] improving performance of vesa driver

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:16:58 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 16:16, Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

Hi Tormod,

> From looking at
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=17452&hide_resolved=1
> it doesn't seem to be anything in the pipeline. Do you have a bug
> reference to your performance or resolution problem?

 I haven't put up a bug, if needed I would put up a bug. The problem
is simply this, I have an Intel 845GL motherboard and Intel driver is
bad (this is on Intrepid I'm talking about) so what it does is it
gives the VESA driver which only works at 640*480 . I have to do
updates (for xorg and xserver-xorg) and give 'Intel' in my xorg.conf
(any time I reinstall) then I have it working.

While of course, getting the intel driver to understand my graphics
subsystem (or lack of it) is the way ahead, is there any possibility
of getting a Vesa driver (in the near or medium feature) which would
give 800*600 by default.

For intel I believe I have put up a bug on launchpad.

For the vesa driver, I dunno if there are any legacy devices which use
ubuntu and use the 640*480 resolution.

I wanted to ask and know (if possible) before filing a bug on the same.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal