[ubuntu-x] Xorg.0.log timestamps

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Feb 9 17:36:02 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:09:04PM +0100, Tormod Volden wrote:
> Now that I am ranting already: Many programmers are a bit too far away
> from the users of their products, and don't realize that users
> actually use (for instance) Gnome today for doing productive work.

Yes I know the feeling whenever I upstream a patch to them.  :-)

I just have to tell myself that there are both pros and cons to the open
source development model; I feel it to be better than the alternatives,
but admit it is far from perfect.

> I am very glad to see optimization is enjoying a renaissance due to
> netbooks and the growing awareness that users, against all recommended
> practice, actually boot their linux computers.

Yes, this is exactly why I am curious about the Gnome startup time,
because last week at the Canonical sprint there was definite interest in
ideas for boot performance improvements.  Several people asked about
improving X boot time, however at <2 sec already (well, mine booted in
3.3 sec), there is not going to be much to squeeze out there, so if
there are other areas with more substantial room for improvement, I
think bug reports, ideas, and patches would stand a good chance of
getting attention right now.

> ps. sorry for all the off-topic, I have no blog.

Not a problem.  Last time I blogged something, my comments just filled
with complaints about alt-sysrq-k not working, and I finally just had to
remove my post.  :-)

Bryce