[ubuntu-x] Xorg.0.log timestamps

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Feb 9 16:04:15 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 01:22:55AM +0100, Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> >> I've added a patch to add timestamping support to X (LP: #285787).
> >> I'm hoping this will be helpful for boottime optimization.  Might also
> >> be handy for post-startup debugging.
>
> Regarding boot time, X starts up in 2 seconds here. Easy way to test
> is to stop X (or boot with "text") and run "xinit". OTOH, Gnome takes
> almost half a minute to display the desktop...

2 seconds doesn't sound bad, but hopefully this patch could help give
ideas on areas to improve, or to help catch areas where we regress.

Too bad Gnome boots so slow, do you have ideas / bug reports in on that?

> > For automatic parsing of log files (I guess I am not the only one
> > playing with such things) it makes things a bit more complicated - for
>
> One thing it breaks, which I often do, is:
>  diff -y log1 log2
> to spot the difference between two almost identical logs/setups. But
> some scripting can work around it of course.

Yeah, this is a shame, and the one downside I see so far.  On the other
hand, this will help in differentiating between error messages that
appeared as part of the normal start up, vs. ones that occurred later on
during usage.

> > or even adopt the format which the kernel is using, e.g. [   40.417275]:
> >  sprintf(tmpBuffer, "[%5d.%06d]", diff_sec , diff_usec);
>
> I followed up in https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/285787

Applied, thanks.

Bryce