[ubuntu-x] Xorg.0.log timestamps

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 00:22:55 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Tormod Volden <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
>> I've added a patch to add timestamping support to X (LP: #285787).
>> I'm hoping this will be helpful for boottime optimization.  Might also
>> be handy for post-startup debugging.

Regarding boot time, X starts up in 2 seconds here. Easy way to test
is to stop X (or boot with "text") and run "xinit". OTOH, Gnome takes
almost half a minute to display the desktop...

> For automatic parsing of log files (I guess I am not the only one
> playing with such things) it makes things a bit more complicated - for

One thing it breaks, which I often do, is:
 diff -y log1 log2
to spot the difference between two almost identical logs/setups. But
some scripting can work around it of course.

> or even adopt the format which the kernel is using, e.g. [   40.417275]:
>  sprintf(tmpBuffer, "[%5d.%06d]", diff_sec , diff_usec);

I followed up in https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/285787

Tormod