[ubuntu-x] XServer for Karmic

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Aug 6 12:57:21 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 11:35:54AM +0200, Pavel Rojtberg wrote:
>  > I'll put out a more general announcement about this once I've had a
>  > chance to test the PPA myself on a few machines.  Meanwhile, if you give
>  > it a go, email me your findings.
> I have been using the edgers PPA for a while now and while at fist there
> were quite a few regressions regarding 3D performance and suspend/
> resume, they are all cleared up now - at least when working without KMS.
> With KMS I still have performance regressions, but I have not re-tested
> this in a while, so probably they are already gone as well.

Yeah I heard about the performance issues, so we'll need to verify and
track that.  If that's the only issue I think we could still proceed
with merging it into Karmic, unless the performance regression were
particularly severe.

> You probably should also say, that without the new -ati stack, there
> will be no KMS option for -ati in karmic.
> Furthermore it seems like the new -ati stack will get R600+ 3D support
> soon(seems to work already in some branches), so that might be an
> adavantage...

Okay, well I'm running the new -ati stack (but on -intel) and it seems
fine.  We're putting it on a usb stick and handing it around to some of
the engineers here at the karmic sprint to test.  Assuming that goes
well, I'll upload these bits and pieces for Alpha-4.

Bryce