[ubuntu-x] Fwd: Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Nov 10 18:21:52 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:54:06AM +0100, Alberto Milone wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008 01:42:32 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Interesting post to u-d-d worth discussion here.
> >
> > Offhand, I don't know how much effort is needed for properly fixing
> > wacom, but if it's unlikely to be done in time, perhaps a simple python
> > GUI based on x-kit to do the manual configuration (putting in the lines
> > that we shipped commented out in Hardy), could be done?
> >
> > Anyone else have ideas on this topic?
> >
> > Bryce
>
> As regards the steps required to configure tablets in the xorg.conf, we can
> use X-Kit without problems. There are other things should deal with too:
>
> 1) if bluetooth tablets aren't supported by the hidp kernel module in Jaunty's
> kernel we may want to package the latest release of the driver with DKMS so
> that users won't have to recompile it every time the kernel is updated and,
> above all, they won't have to do make && make install manually (which is not
> exactly user friendly).

It's a good idea, although maybe the better solution would be to get the
kernel team to start including this?  Is there a LP# on it?

> 2) update the linux wacom driver to the latest (even beta) release.

Timo or I can take care of this as we go through all the pending merges,
assuming it doesn't get done automatically.  If there is value to
syncing an even newer version from svn or whatever, that's also
something we could do (slightly more work).

> 3) modify the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules according to
> the wacom tablet model (if required).
> 4) remove the .fdi file for wacom tablets

I'm uncertain about the above; I wonder if there are less invasive ways
to achieve what those are trying to do, that are better in keeping with
the packaging system.

> 5) make it easy for users to set customised stroke pressure and inverted
> scrolling.

If it's straightforward to do, I'm sure users would like it.

That said, hopefully a tool to work around hal and hack xorg.conf would
be only a stopgap measure until things get fixed up properly upstream.
So if we go this route I'd suggest focusing on functionality that isn't
going to consume a huge amount of effort.

> Basically users should be allowed to choose between lines between serial, USB,
> bluetooth tablets, and specify whether the tablet is part of a TabletPC.
> Things should (mostly) just work. Device pairing in bluetooth tablets should
> be done manually but we can include instructions in the program. Maybe a
> simple UI (a configuration wizard) would be enough.
>
> What do you think?

Yep.  I'd love to see everything properly done upstream using HAL and so
on, but it's looking pretty clear that there's large classes of devices
that are going to need static configs for at least a little while.
x-kit seems a good match for these things.

Bryce