[ubuntu-x] Fwd: Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Alberto Milone albertomilone at alice.it
Mon Nov 10 09:54:06 GMT 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008 01:42:32 Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Interesting post to u-d-d worth discussion here.
>
> Offhand, I don't know how much effort is needed for properly fixing
> wacom, but if it's unlikely to be done in time, perhaps a simple python
> GUI based on x-kit to do the manual configuration (putting in the lines
> that we shipped commented out in Hardy), could be done?
>
> Anyone else have ideas on this topic?
>
> Bryce

As regards the steps required to configure tablets in the xorg.conf, we can
use X-Kit without problems. There are other things should deal with too:

1) if bluetooth tablets aren't supported by the hidp kernel module in Jaunty's
kernel we may want to package the latest release of the driver with DKMS so
that users won't have to recompile it every time the kernel is updated and,
above all, they won't have to do make && make install manually (which is not
exactly user friendly).

2) update the linux wacom driver to the latest (even beta) release.

3) modify the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules according to
the wacom tablet model (if required).

4) remove the .fdi file for wacom tablets

5) make it easy for users to set customised stroke pressure and inverted
scrolling.

Basically users should be allowed to choose between lines between serial, USB,
bluetooth tablets, and specify whether the tablet is part of a TabletPC.
Things should (mostly) just work. Device pairing in bluetooth tablets should
be done manually but we can include instructions in the program. Maybe a
simple UI (a configuration wizard) would be enough.

What do you think?

Regards,

Alberto