[ubuntu-x] packages needing updates and other stuff

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Mar 31 06:49:57 BST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:23:50AM +0530, shirish wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:52:36PM +0500, shirish wrote:
> >  > 2. Using Screen Resolution while I'm able to change the resolution I'm
> >  > not able to change the refresh-rate, why is that ?
> >
> >  There can be a few reasons for that, but it's usually a function of your
> >  monitor, not your video card.  LCD's, for instance, really only work at
> >  60 Hz.  (I've seen some that advertise several rates "around" 60.)  Same
> >  is true for laptop panels.
>
> mine is a 17" philips CRT

Oh, and if you see that there are discrepencies between what is
displayed in your ddcprobe.txt, and in the Screen Resolution tool,
please file a bug in Launchpad with the ddcprobe.txt, a screenshot
showing the resolutions that are available, and the output of `xrandr`.
(We only deal with bug reports via launchpad, although I'm happy to
answer general questions like these via email).

Basically the data flow goes something like this:

Monitor -> EDID or DCC -> libXrandr -> Screen Resolution
             \       \           +---> xrandr

That glosses over a lot, and I'm certainly far from an expert on all
this stuff, but that's basically how I think these pieces hook in.

Bryce