[ubuntu-x] Using console-setup's keyboard setup for HAL and xorg input-hotplug

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jul 31 21:46:07 BST 2008

Colin and I had a discussion yesterday regarding the idea of reusing the
console-setup keyboard settings with the xorg keyboard input-hotplug
stuff in HAL.  The idea is that this script would be run from
xorg-server.postinst.

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/InputHotplug/console2fdi.sh

Sample output with a US keyboard with all defaults:

# http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/InputHotplug/us-keyboard.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
      <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>
    </match>
  </device>

</deviceinfo>

I wanted to run this by everyone for sanity checking before getting too
deep into integrating stuff.  I'm also interested in if there are debian
plans regarding keyboard settings?

Thanks,
Bryce