[ubuntu-x] Ubuntu X feature work for Intrepid

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Jul 15 14:44:09 BST 2008

I don't know if you guys are interested in any of this for Debian, but I
wanted to list what we're looking at doing feature-wise for Ubuntu, in
case you'd like to collaborate or comment on any of them.

xorg-input-hotplug
------------------
We shipped Hardy without input-hotplug turned on.  This task is to just
switch it on and work to make it stable.  We expect to make the switch
around the end of the month.  I expect we'll be following your lead and
collaborating quite a bit.

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-input-hotplug

xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace
-----------------------
We've had bunches of requests for users to turn off this shortcut key,
however it's quite useful to developers.  A compromise has been to
require holding it down for a short period of time (and/or hitting in
quick succession).  We're tentatively planning on trying this out,
although I'm not 100% how to best implement it.  I assume this wouldn't
be of interest for Debian; let me know otherwise.

xorg-options-editor
-------------------
In Hardy we implemented an early version of the new xrandr-enabled
Screen Resolution tool.  While it was generally well received, it lacks
a lot of advanced functionality.  One of our community members is
creating a simple python GUI applet for turning on driver and server
options, to launch from an "Advanced..." button on the Screen Resolution
tool.

Probably easiest to explain through a screenshot:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/OptionsEditor?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xorgconfig-07-07-2008.png

Much work is going into the backend python code for reading/writing
xorg.conf's (termed "X-Kit"), and we're looking into standardizing use
of it in other tools (EnvyNG, Jockey, etc.) that need to make
modifications to xorg.conf.

I sense this tool could conceivably be of use for Debian users, so would
like to hear if this is something you'd be interested in.

Bryce