[ubuntu-x] Fwd: Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Dec 19 21:09:33 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 09:08:28PM +0100, Loïc Martin wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote :
> > Btw, I've updated Alberto's wacom config tool spec a bit.  If you have a
> > chance it would be good to have your review as well:
> >
> >   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Blueprints/WacomTabletsUi
>
> I've finished adding my comments. I also added an updated mockup
> directly to the page.

Awesome thanks.

>  2. How to save options ?
>
> If possible, could the tool comment out the configuration instead of
> removing the lines in xorg.conf, then uncomment them if the user wants
> to enable that model of tablet again?
>
> There's a few use cases where an user would want to separately
> enable/disable tablets :
> - users that change tablet models (or lend/give the computer to another
> person or department in school/company);
> - TabletPC when for a while the user wants to use it only as a laptop;
> - people with multiple tablets, that want to only use a few (and for
> TabletPC people whose TabletPC wacom device works badly).
>
> In a perfect world there wouldn't be troubles letting the tablets
> configured in xorg.conf. However, if there was a reason to remove
> default lines in xorg.conf in Ubuntu releases, then people will find
> value in selectively enabling/disabling their tablets.

Actually, for this use case I have somewhat different idea in mind.
Please refer to the 'Safety Net' section in the options editor spec:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/OptionsEditor

Basically the idea is that we would manage a set of xorg.conf's for the
user, and build in the ability to select between them at several
different levels of the O/S - grub, bulletproof-x mode, recovery mode,
and when booted into the desktop proper.  As well, I'm tying in an idea
from dustin kirkland whereby a configuration can be associated with a
given hardware configuration, and the xorg.conf swapped in or out at
boot time based on the hardware layout.  Obviously, getting that to work
right will be tricky, but it solves a range of different use cases
in addition to wacom configuration.

Bryce