[ubuntu-x] -intel test/backport repository

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 21:28:50 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Thomas Jaeger wrote:
> You're going to need an updated xserver package anyway, because the 2.5
> branch of the intel driver needs the glyph cache for decent text
> rendering speed.  I had the xserver-1.5 branch running with the glyph
> cache patches on top for a couple of weeks (albeit with mesa from git),
> that was very solid.

OK, then I am tempted to say we just use xorg-edgers for Hardy
testing. And suggest that people upgrade to Intrepid, or try it out
from an Intrepid live CD. Otherwise, having to rebuild all drivers and
all that it's becoming quite some work, and it's not so easy for
people to revert after testing.

I will upload an -intel 2.5.1 to xorg-edgers Hardy (replacing the
"2.4.99" from trunk). Real "edgers" should use Intrepid or Jaunty
anyway :) The xorg-edgers Hardy stack is pretty stable, I even use it
at my work machine (for radeon). (Note to self: upload libxi with
XInput.h)

> UXA is a non-issue, I've never gotten it to work properly with any
> xserver/intel-driver/mesa combination, so it'd give the tip of the
> xserver-1.4 branch + glyph cache a try for hardy.
>
> I don't have much time right now, but I'll install hardy on a spare
> partition later this week and do some testing.

Cool. Thanks for the information.

Tormod