[ubuntu-x] xforcevesa

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:27:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 02:37:43PM +0530, shirish wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>       I put up a blog post about trying to demo installation for an uncle
>> http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2008/12/04/xforcevesa-and-wubi/
>>
>> Now I don't know what package to file this bug against or is this a bug or not?
>
> Hard to say without more details, but probably you should file it
> against the video driver.

Since the video driver issue was fixed after "a bunch of updates" it's
probably not necessary to report that part. What you should report (if
it's not already done) is that the installer GUI doesn't fit in the
low resolution display that xforcevesa gives you. This would also be a
problem with native low resolutions on netbooks and such devices.

It used to be that xforcevesa was only detected by the xserver
postinst, but I understand from your story that this is different in
Intrepid. If you need xforcevesa to boot the installer, the best thing
the installer can do is to leave xforcevesa in the installed system,
otherwise you'll get a black screen when you finally boot it. Removing
xforcevesa after a driver update has made it unnecessary would be
impossible to automate. But maybe there should be a system preference
setting that shows it is enabled and where you can easily disable it.