[ubuntu-x] Bullet-proof X ate my homework

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Mon Oct 15 06:55:44 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 12:35:40PM -0500, Rob Hughes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Well, maybe not my homework, but with the latest Gutsy updates, I
> rebooted to make the new kernel active, but had not yet installed the
> nvidia binary driver for that kernel version. As expected, the system
> came up in fallback (or whatever it's called) mode. The problem is that
> after installing the driver, I couldn't find my original xorg.conf
> anywhere. Also, I wasn't able to switch from the fallback mode to a
> console VT in order to fix what was going on. I had to select a failsafe
> xterm to get to a prompt and do a gdm stop. I assume neither of these
> are expected behaviors?

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about this, but yeah neither of these are expected
behavior.

The original xorg.conf should be located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.N.  If
not, please report that as a bug.

I'm also surprised you couldn't switch to a console via ctrl+alt+F1 or
similar - that's exactly what I've been using to troubleshoot issues.
Most likely, whatever is causing that issue is a driver (or maybe
kernel) issue.  Please put in a bug report on this, and make sure to
include a very detailed description of how to reproduce it, just in case
it's occurring due to something unique you're doing.

Obviously, it's too late to get changes in for Gutsy, but please report
them (and assign to me since they're bulletproof-x issues) and hopefully
we can get them ironed out fairly soon.  If they seem critical enough we
may be able to get them included in Gutsy updates.

Bryce