[ubuntu-x] mesa in Hardy carrying large .diff.gz

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:39:32 GMT 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 8:01 AM, Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if there was any reasoning / log files available to
> > identify why there is a large .diff.gz for mesa in hardy, which is
> > outside the debian directory.
>
> The tarballs contain material that cannot be shipped, and AFAIK that's why
> the diff is messy, in addition to the ordinary autoreconf cruft.

The Debian mesa is pulled down from (mesa + Debian) git, but the diff
is against the released mesa tarballs. So the (Debian) diff contains
stuff sitting in (mesa) git that was filtered out in the (mesa)
release. This is ugly, but it should not touch any files used in the
build, it's just useless cruft in the source package. See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/122994 and the Debian bug link there.
I discussed it again on IRC, but again the general spirit was "why do
you care", "does it make any difference" and so on :)

Tormod