[ubuntu-x] [Hardy] GUI disappears while working

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Tue Nov 20 08:24:23 GMT 2007

Hi Shirish,

There's some tips and tricks linked to from the troubleshooting section
of http://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/ that would be worth trying.  In particular
see the recommendations on the Debugging page.

Since you suspect this started with one of the updates, the logical
thing to do would be to systematically downgrade the driver, xserver,
and other pieces you suspect.  This will tell you which package has the
error in it.

You probably will want to install -dbg versions of the xserver, the
driver, and any other associated pieces.  Also turn on debugging for the
xserver (see the things linked to at the above page).

Along side that, you should also try to narrow down the thing that
triggers the problem, since "randomly stops working" is not going to be
easy for you to debug.  From the error in the Xorg.0.log you posted, it
sounds like maybe it's happening during a graphics mode switch (like
switching to a tty, or suspend/resume, or even playing a movie.)

Once you've identified both the package and the cause, and installed the
-dbg symbols, the next step would be to run in gdb and gain a backtrace.

Bryce