[ubuntu-x] New x-server for testing with polarity sync fix

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Thu Nov 1 01:14:08 GMT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 10:59:49PM +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 12:43 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > This adds a patch for fixing a polarity sync issue with edid, that can
> > cause various modeline related monitor display issues.
> >
> >   http://people.ubuntu.com/~bryce/Testing/xorg-server/
> >
> > I would appreciate it if people could test this out and let me know if
> > it works ok or not on your systems.
>
> I just tested that and the intel driver you built with the TV quirks,
> and have to report a problem...

Thanks for testing it.

> After logging into GDM, all terminals slow to start, apps like
> gnome-calculator start to display, but widgets not drawn. I opened a
> WINE app (notepad), opened a file dialog, and oddly saw the undrawn
> calculator widgets splattered across it.

That's really weird...  There really isn't anything in this aside from
your three patches and the quirks.  The quirks should be irrelevant, so
this should be functionally no different than what you published.

> I tried a full reboot (as had previously came back from suspend, then
> logged out / in to activate the newly installed Xserver), and thats not
> really a "clean" test.
>
> I tried the usual suspects such as killall esd, but that didn't help
> (and my network seemed to be up, so I'm not thinking it was a name
> resolving issue).
>
> Long story short, I reverted xorg, and am now happily running again.

Not a good sign...

> Bryce.. what build environment did you make that package on?

I built it in a pbuilder environment on the same p4 x86 box that I've
used for building xorg stuff for the past 6 months.  However, I recently
did upgrade this box from Feisty to Gutsy not too long ago, so it's
possible that something is wrong there.

Could you dget -x the .dsc I posted and build it yourself, and see if it
works properly?

Bryce