[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu Women Meeting Feb 2021

Elsie Hupp canonical at elsiehupp.com
Wed Apr 21 20:36:37 UTC 2021

Hi Monica,

I’m a bit of a newbie both ways, since I only started using Ubuntu (server) around the end of 2019, and I only used Ubuntu (desktop) from August or September 2020 to this past March, at which point I installed Debian (after accidentally nerfing my Ubuntu desktop installation while trying to set up multi-boot). In some ways, the things that make Ubuntu a good server distro make it less of a good desktop distro (and vice-versa with Debian), though in other ways Ubuntu remains the more user-friendly of the two.

The main issue for me on the desktop was the extent to which Ubuntu maintains incompatible tweaks on top of GNOME, which makes it difficult to engage with upstream GNOME development. And, again, Ubuntu’s development process seems to be much more cloistered than Debian’s or GNOME’s. The two are all things considered extremely similar aside from this, especially due to the fact that Ubuntu is closely related to Debian, much like Elementary is closely related to Ubuntu.

Best,
Elsie