[UbuntuWomen] Marketing~A little off topic

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 07:26:15 UTC 2015

Christa,

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 7:06 AM, CEW <yeahagain2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I want to do some marketing for Canonical (Ubuntu/Kubuntu). Does anyone know
> the email or snail mail for the US office?

As far as I know, Canonical's offices are on the Isle of Man.

> A side note: I have read several articles regarding Edubuntu and problem
> getting it implemented into the education systems. This is just my opinion
> but I think part of the problem is transference. Generally speaking,
> depending on your global location is making the leap from words like Windows
> and Apple to Edubuntu. It might be easier to come out and call it Android or
> just an app. We know it is not just an app but it is a derivative of Linux
> (Android). The Edu.app where people are familiar with Edu. I could be
> totally off the mark. Alternatively, I would do the marketing for Edubuntu I
> am not sure the group can afford $10,000.00 Anyway, if anyone has the
> Canonical marketing department contact person and their email I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Christa

Your email displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship
between Canonical the company, and Ubuntu the distribution, which is
all free software. The various flavors such as Kubuntu, Unity, and
Edubuntu have nothing to do with Android. Android is a derivative of
Linux, and actually competes with Canonical's new phone OS.

I'm only involved in Kubuntu and Ubuntu-Women, so I don't know
specifically about Edubuntu, but I've never heard of any of the
flavors hiring a marketing person. This is all free software, created
by people in their free time. Since all the software is available for
free, what is there to market?

Valorie