[UbuntuWomen] Introduction

SVAKSHA svaksha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:16:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:03 AM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM, jody hansen <jobediah.hansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm new to the mailing list so let me introduce myself. I'm a PhD candidate
>> here in Salt Lake City, Utah. If everything goes according to plan, I will
>> graduate this December. However, I've decided to switch from biomedical
>> research to a career in programming, (for more information I've begun to
>> record my experience on jobediah.blogspot.com). I've wandered my way towards
>> this group because Ubuntu is a product that I continuously use and feel like
>> I can stand behind since it's an open source project. I'm relatively new to
>> the scene so I may stick to the shadows as I listen and learn from the more
>> experienced members. :-)
>

> Also join Biolinux, GNU/R, Bioconductor communities and select
> projects to contribute.

Good point Mani!

Jody, I maintain a list of packages, listing as per the programming language:

[A] Python
=========

[1] https://github.com/svaksha/pythonidae/blob/master/Biology.md
You could parse these packages individually to see if anything
interests you. Some dont have mailing lists so feel free to ping the
dev's on the bug tracker.

[2] Off the top of my head, phageParser was a part of a recent
hackathon and I know that they are looking for contributors so feel
free to ping Bill via the bug tracker and he will be happy to help you
get started. https://github.com/BillMills/phageParser

[B] Julia
========
A new scientific programming language on the block with a super
helpful community.

[3] https://github.com/svaksha/Julia.jl/blob/master/Biology.md , has
tons of packages that are looking for contributors. If you are
interested in sequencing (or anything else) feel free to ping me off
list to talk. I'd love to collaborate.

[C] Other languages
[4] https://github.com/bayandin/awesome-awesomeness by @bayandin has a
list of packages in other programming languages. Most of these are not
listed or sorted specifically for Biology, so it can be a wee bit
tedious to wade through the entire stack.

Hope this helps, SVAKSHA ॥  http://about.me/svaksha