[UbuntuWomen] Hi, I'm new!

Hanna Hermsen hannahermsen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 20:20:07 UTC 2014

Hi all!

I am Hanna from the Netherlands.
My first experience with Linux was in uni, using Fedora. Later I
switched to Ubuntu and I am now using Xubuntu because my laptop doesn't
like Unity too much :) In total I've been using Linux for about 2 years
now. I am pretty comfortable with the command line.

For a long while I've been wanting to contribute to open source
projects. I study computer science so I do have coding experience
(mainly C/C++/Java), but my uni isn't the best one out there (for
example: hardly any math.. crazy isn't it?) so I'm not that confident
about my skills.
I love to learn however, and I'd like to use my knowledge to help out,
but because of the above and not really knowing where to start I haven't
so far. That's why I joined Ubuntu Women, next to having a opportunity
to communicate with other women in the field.

I would love to help out on the development side, but helping others,
translating and smashing bugs would also be fine. I did look into the
mentoring opportunity Ubuntu Women has. Maybe I will take advantage of
this. However, any advice on how to get started is still welcome :)

Cheers!