[UbuntuWomen] testing the orientation quiz

Anna Baas annabaas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 05:36:32 UTC 2014

Hi Silvia,

> * The links aren't filled in yet, I'm assuming this is on purpose (and the
> > text in general might benefit from some dedicated proofreading)
>
> A little background: the quiz comes from the Italian loco team web
> site [1]. As I belong to this loco team, it was me to translate it and
> load it on the server made available by Elizabeth. This was done a few
> months ago, then there was some discussions about it but for a while
> the project has been dormant. So thanks a lot for bringing it back!
>
> To answer your questions: it was just loaded there for testing and
> review, which explains why the links lead to nowhere. This is indeed
> one thing that should be decided: where should we make them go to? In
> the Italian web site they lead to the Italian wiki page of each team.
> As for the texts: as I said I don't think they were ever reviewed.
> Would you like to help with that?

Yes, of course! Although I'm not a native English speaker. But fortunately
my horrendous Dutch accent doesn't really come over in writing ;-)

We discussed a bit the workflows in this mailing list, and here is
> what we came up with: [2]
> It can of course be refined. Besides, consider that it was initially
> thought for the Italian community, so some of the flows would lead to
> the translation team which of course doesn't make much sense in the
> international community, so we adapted it.

That makes sense. Also, if we choose to implement the 'several options' it
would serve to show that there are several activities which fit different
kinds of people. That's a good thing!

> Maybe
> > there could be one 'main' result with the nice icon and a longer
> > explanation, but in addition a link or two to the 'second-best' results
> for
> > those parameters?
>
> Could be, but  this means we would need to choose what to offer as
> results. Do you already have some ideas?

I did, actually, although I haven't really thought it out - but as an
example, most people who end up at the 'development' result would also do
very well at documentation if coding is not their thing. And maybe vice
versa? Also, translation and advocacy are natural partners - translators
would often be part of a community / read magazines / participate in fora
which not many other Ubuntu enthusiasts do, if only because of the
language. So I would think it natural to offer translation as an option
with advocacy, advocacy with translation, docs with dev and dev with docs.
As an example. I'm interested to know what you think!

~ Anna
--
Less is like more, but better.

Anna Baas
Ik lees mijn mail op werkdagen tussen 12u-12u30 en 19u-20u.