[UbuntuWomen] Harverst project current status

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 15 00:49:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Silvia Bindelli
<silvia.bindelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel gave his availability to help us in case we need it; about the
> current status of the project and how it works, he said:
>
> "
> harvest is up and running, but nobody has worked on it for quite a
> while. The way it works is that it pulls in lp:harvest-data which has a
> file with "opportunity feeds", from which it pulls in the data.
> "
>
> I like the idea of aggregating in a place a set of little projects and
> tasks, in order to provide concrete cases on which to start
> contributing. Maybe I would extend it to different areas, not only
> code.
>
> Any comment? What would you think about exploiting Harvest?

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at harvest and following
up with Daniel.

I think a nice step forward would be to collect data about how useful
it is in its current state, so I'd propose something like the
following:

1. Find several people who are interested in getting involved and
willing to be test subjects :)

2. Have them visit http://harvest.ubuntu.com and start browsing

3. Once they've had a look through, have them report back about
whether they find it intuitive to use and useful for finding things to
work on

4. Bugs (from "I can't figure out how to use it" to "this feature
would help a lot!") can be reported to Silvia, the mailing list or
directly to the bug tracker at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/harvest/+bugs

I recall when I tried it that the navigation was a bit funny for me to
use and I never found it to be very useful, so I was always uncertain
of whether I was "doing it the right way" so I'd really like to see
feedback from others.

Once we get some feedback we can then evaluate whether we think the
tool is worth improving and then work with Daniel on doing so.

http://www.princessleia.com