[UbuntuWomen] Outreach Issues? (Jasna Bencic)

Scarlett Clark scarlett at scarlettgatelyclark.com
Sat Nov 16 17:57:14 UTC 2013

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 01:38:24 PM Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 12:17 PM, Scarlett Clark wrote:
> > Excellent insight here. Directly relates to my story, despite KDE not
> > participating in this round I continue to contribute. I love the
> > accomplishment of it, and I can use the knowledge for future
employment.
> > I think that is the focus that needs to be made. It is not for a job,
> > but for the knowledge and training to get a job in the field. I am not
> > an expert so I don't think I could mentor anyone, but if you need
> > assistance in any other way, please let me know. I would love to be a
> > part of this.
>
> Same thing here, I'm finding it very hard to contribute to the Ubuntu
> Doc team (the wiki part) because of the lack reason to keep the wiki
> update to date (because of having Ubuntu Forums, Ask Ubuntu, and the
> support channel on freenode.net).  Having that set aside, I heard from
> someone that if you have the skills and you are woman in the IT field,
> you guaranteed a job in the field.  Is that correct?

I certainly hope so, I entered the field years ago, but due to health issues I
was out for several years. I am now (fully repaired) trying to re-enter the
field with a degree in hand. I see Open source is a perfect way for me to
get back in the game. Not to mention I use it everyday and can give back!