[UbuntuWomen] Hello All! and Re: Introductions - Aruna Vallur

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 23 23:29:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Svetlana Belkin <barsookmud at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Or this is the mentoring program that we have
> is for?

I'd love to chat about this at our next meeting, but a quick comment
about mentoring...

Our formal program where a mentor and mentee are paired up as
described on our official mentoring page[0] hasn't been successful.
We've paired up very few people over the years and even most of those
it usually ends up that either the Mentor or the Mentee gets too busy
to continue.

Instead we've begun to encourage folks to communicate on list and in
our IRC channels in a more casual way, I've mentored several women
"informally" this way and it's been beneficial to all of us. The
mentee has the support of the whole community and doesn't feel left
out when I end up getting too busy, and I don't feel guilty about
being a blocker on their progress. If I'm not around, they just ask
someone else in #ubuntu-women or the community they join (docs,
packaging, etc - from my experience it's much less scary to speak up
and ask questions after a couple weeks of working with a community).

[0] http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Mentoring

http://www.princessleia.com