[UbuntuWomen] Introduction.

Rebecca Defoe beckydefoe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:30:42 UTC 2012

Hello to everyone on the Ubuntu women mailing list, my name is Rebecca, I
live in the UK and am very nearly finished with a MSci degree in Computing
and management.

I first found out about Ubuntu from a friend who tried to fix my home
computer only to find that the setup would not allow me to upgrade from
Windows 2000 to Windows XP seamlessly. He suggested Ubuntu as an
alternative. I struggled with it to begin with as the command line was
intimidating.

When I started university one of my awesome big sisters bought me a second
hand iBook to take to university. I fell out of using Ubuntu for a while
during this period but that computer broke within a year.

In 2008 I bought one of the first netbook computers the Acer Aspire One
which had Linpus Lite on it but I installed Ubuntu over it. I used that
until it too broke (I am bad at picking hardware at this point). My
lecturers encouraged me to buy an iMac and so I did, however it was a
bugger to get to/from university on the train. These days dual boot os x
(needed for work) and Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro.

I love Ubuntu and would love to get more involved but I don't know where to
begin! My ubuntu goals are to learn to program for the desktop (I know only
web design) and to learn how to use vi! I would also love to work for
Canonical one day.

That was a not so short introduction to me and I look forward to conversing
with you all soon!

Regards
Rebecca

Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™