[UbuntuWomen] New member introduction

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 11 18:34:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Caroline L. Moore <loudon23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello! My name is Caroline Moore. I recently graduated college with a degree
> in Geography, but don't want to stop learning. I've been using Ubuntu for
> several years now, and I thought it would be fun to join the project. I want
> to learn lots of things, including tech writing, QA, and eventually
> programming. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Welcome, Caroline! We're neighbors (I live in downtown SF) and there
are a few other women from the team in the area. I host an Ubuntu Hour
where we meet up in a coffee shop and casually talk about Ubuntu on
the 2nd Wednesday of each month here in SF, there is also a monthly
one in Mountain View. More details about projects the California team
is working on are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects

If you're interested in testing, you may want to check out ISO testing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/ISO/Procedures

I'm actually in the process of updating the docs for the Xubuntu
project this week with regard to our testing procedures and it would
be great to have some "guinea pigs" to test that my docs make sense :)
Feel free to contact me directly if you're interested (that goes for
everyone on the list).

You may also be interested in the weekly Development Updates published
on fridge.ubuntu.com, the latest from Thursday:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/03/08/ubuntu-12-04-development-update-17/

Each week they feature something or someone from the development
community to talk about the project or work the person is doing and
how they got involved. The bottom of the post always offers a list of
ways to begin getting involved.

> I'm looking for a mentor to help me figure out how I can contribute to
> Ubuntu. I want to learn and do so much, but I need some guidance on how to
> begin and gain the knowledge necessary to make meaningful contributions. I'm
> really excited to join the project and get working!

In addition to above you're welcome to ask on list or join us in
#ubuntu-women on irc.freenode.net which is accessible via the web
here:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-women

If you say hello there are usually a few people around who are just
silent in channel for the moment to respond.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com