[UbuntuWomen] WSIS-KC community on Women and FOSS

Hwang, Sunhee s.hwang at unesco.org
Thu Jun 28 11:56:03 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Hello,

My name is Sunhee HWANG. I joined the mailing-list a couple of weeks
ago, and this is my first time to  say hello to everyone. I am a
graduate student and currently working at UENSCO in Paris as an Intern.
The key focus of my work is on FOSS and Gender.  So, this is really a
great pleasure to have a chance to talk everyone in the field.

I would like to introduce our work for those of you who might have
interest in

*         FOSS community in WSIS-KC community (link below)

UNESCO seeks to promote women empowerment and to mainstream gender in
all UNESCO policies, strategies and programmes.

As one of our efforts to promote gender equality and women empowerment
both in general and in FOSS, this FOSS community  aims to  create a
network from different institutions and projects.

It is also trying to identify and measure which are the sociological and
scientific reasons of this gap and find some possible solutions to these
inequalities by looking at what challenges, either within or outside the
FOSS community, prevent women from engaging with Free and Open Source
Software or impede a full acknowledgement of their valuable
contribution.

I hope you to join this community and see what people discuss. Also We
are greatly welcome your opinion and ready to listen from you who are in
the real field.

*         One question to ask you is : how can we improve and turn
female hostile environment to gender-friendly  in FOSS world?

If you have any opinions on this or have any relevant topics / cases to
share , feel free to write/leave comments on the websites or email me.

Honestly, the community is not really active now,  but with your
contribution, hopefully we can boost this community and expect to shed
light on Women in FOSS and the relevant issues across academia, business
and governments.

Please visit the community at  :

http://www.wsis-community.org/pg/groups/329964/gender-equality-in-free-a
nd-open-source-software-foss/

You can also follow us on our Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/unescofoss

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Sunhee HWANG