[UbuntuWomen] Ubuntu Women Month of Making: Vote now!

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 14 23:57:42 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

We had 6 participants in our Ubuntu Women Month of Making - huge
thanks to everyone who participated and for being so thoughtful about
the word "Make" to make this a lot of fun. All the submissions were
amazing and we have been publishing them on our blog at
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org throughout the past few weeks. As a
wrap-up, here are all of them (and an opportunity to vote on your
favorite at the end of this email!).

Silvia Bindelli

Our first submission came from Silvia Bindelli who wrote about the
collaboration she “Made” between Geek Girl Dinners in Milan and the
Italian segment of the Ubuntu Women project which led to getting a
monthly article in Geek Girl Life Magazine.

More about Silvia’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/09/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-silvia-bindelli/

Nathalina Backman

Our second submission came from Nathalina Backman whose Ubuntu
Cupcakes have now been featured on sites from thecupcakeblog.org to
NetworkWorld.

More about Nathalina’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/09/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-nathalina-backman/

Akkana Peck

Our third submission came from Akkana Peck who used Ubuntu as a base
operating system for her Arduino-based sonar echolocation rig and
provides instructions for Command-line Arduino development in Debian
and Ubuntu.

More about Akkana’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/10/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-akkana-peck/

Flavia Weisghizzi

Our fourth submission came from Flavia Weisghizzi, an Italian
Community LoCo Council Member and spokeswoman for the Italian Ubuntu
community. She “Makes” books! Flavia has written two books about
Ubuntu (in collaboration with Luca Ferretti) the first about Ubuntu
9.10 and the second about Ubuntu 10.10, and the third one is in
progress. These books have been very successful, selling over 10,000
copies and giving her opportunities through reviews on various mediums
to present at Universities, tech fairs and more.

More about Flavia’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/10/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-flavia-weisghizzi/

Stefanie Lück

Our fifth submission came from Stefanie Lück. Stefanie is a technical
assistant in a plant researcher lab in Germany. Starting with small
programs for personal use, she quickly began writing Python programs
on her Ubuntu desktop she wrote an annotation tool, a kind of image
browser, which allows the user to scroll easily over many pictures and
annotate them. Her work on this project and others lead her to be
invited to give a talk at PyConDE (the first Python conference in
Germany!).

More about Stefanie’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/10/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-stefanie-luck/

Maile Urbancic

Finally, our sixth submission came from Maile Urbancic who founded
BoutiqueAcademia.com, a small business that carries STEM-themed
jewelry and accessories. She contacted Canonical in early 2011 with a
proposal to create Ubuntu Earrings, proceeds of which support the
non-profit Partimus.org, which she is a co-founder of and works to put
Ubuntu and other Free Software powered desktops into public schools.

More about Maile’s project can be found here:
http://blog.ubuntu-women.org/2011/10/ubuntu-women-month-of-making-maile-urbancic/

All these projects are amazing, and O’Reilly has offered to give all
our winners a free e-book for participating!

We also have two subscriptions to Ubuntu User Magazine courtesy of
Linux New Media (Parent Company to Ubuntu User Magazine).

This is where you come in! Which is your favorite project?

Vote now: http://mumble.libertus.co.uk/limesurvey/index.php?sid=84617&lang=en

If you have any trouble voting, please contact me at lyz at ubuntu.com
with comments, questions or votes

--