[UbuntuWomen] Diversity and Encouraging More Women To Attend UDS

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 22 04:21:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking about this for the past few days.
>
> One of the things I've observed about women in men-dominated areas is that
> they can be quite hesitant, and don't think they have done enough for big
> things such as sponsorship, upload rights, etc.
>
> One of the obvious ways to combat this would be for everyone, particularly
> those who seen to be in positions of leadership, to think about the women
> (or other low-represented groups) who you work with on Ubuntu, and tell them
> why you think they should apply for sponsorship.

In addition to encouraging people to apply, and telling them why they
should apply, we could offer help in writing up the sponsorship
application.  I know I have helped several people (male and female)
document their contributions and ideas within the Character limits of
the summit application.  I'd be happy to help with that should anyone
need that.

Also sorry I am late to the discussion :-/

I'll add to the wiki as well and if anyone on the list wouldn't mind
being interviewed about interviewed I'll work on an article about this
as well.  Help create some awareness etc.  Email me off list if you
want to be interviewed and I'll send you an email.

:-D  Amber

--
Amber Graner//akgraner//
http://akgraner.com/