[UbuntuWomen] Diversity and Encouraging More Women To Attend UDS

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 14 15:24:33 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get in touch with you all to discuss some goals we have for
the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) which we would like to ask for your
guidance on.

The next UDS is taking place in May in Budapest and we have been
thinking about the diversity of the event. One part of this work is
producing a anti-harassment policy that we will be adding to
uds.ubuntu.com soon (Valerie Aurora has reviewed it and provided
valuable feedback).

Secondly, I would like to brainstorm some ideas to encourage more women
to participate in two areas:

      * Apply For Sponsorship - the way in which we determine the
        sponsorship of travel and accommodation of community members is
        by asking community members to apply for sponsorship.
      * General Attendance - of course not everyone can be sponsored
        (due to limited funds) and not everyone needs sponsorship (e.g.
        local residents), so encourage sponsorship outside of
        sponsorship is a valuable message too.

We really want UDS to be a great example of a respectful and empowering
event for women.

My initial thinking is that this could be an awesome opportunity for the
Ubuntu Women team to lead and inspire women to participate at UDS. While
we (the UDS organizers) could perform an outreach event, I think it
would be a far more powerful message if it was lead and inspired by
Ubuntu Women.

I thought we could begin with a discussion of ideas and brainstorming to
achieve the goals identified above. What do you think would be some good
ideas, and would you as a team be happy to participate in this outreach?

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager